Jesus Was a Zombie

 

If you've stumbled upon this page, consider yourself fortunate!  This is the testing ground for the long awaited return of Elvis Ate My Blog!

As you can see, we're undergoing a name change, as well as a few other improvements.  If you'd like to visit the now defunct Elvis Ate My Blog, it'll give you a good feel of what we're about.

Get Firefox!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

NES Emulation for Dummies 2: The Dreamcast

Image hosted by Photobucket.comRecently I've had a request which, rather than answer directly, I think I'll answer right here as I believe it's a topic many of our readers can benefit from. You may recall that recently I had posted a walkthrough on playing NES games on your PC. Many people however would prefer to play classic games just as they did back in the day - on their TV. There are two ways to do this, however, as one of them is a little pain-in-the-assy, I'm going to focus on the easy and fun way. Playing NES games on your Dreamcast.

For those unfamiliar, the Dreamcast was Sega's final entry in the console market, and, despite critical success, poor financial results and a host of other factors led to the console's inevitable demise. But then again, I think I'll save the story of the Dreamcast for another post. Today, we're going to look at using this system to play classic games from years gone by.

The Dreamcast can be used, much like a PC, to emulate games from most any system. Once again, like the PC, we're going to focus on the NES as the Dreamcast's NES emulator is the most user friendly. The first thing you'll need to do is download the emulator by clicking here. The file is a Nero image, so you'll need to burn it to CD using Nero.

The next thing you'll need are your game files, or ROM's. You'll want to burn a CD full of them. From here, it's quite simple. Place the NesterDC disc in the Dreamcast and turn it on. Once the program loads, take out the disc and replace it with the disc containing the ROM's. Choose "Select Game" from the Main Menu, and it should bring you to the list of games on the disc. Just select the one you want to play and you're done!

Now just as a heads up, I am unfortunately without a working Dreamcast at the moment, so I was unable to complete the process myself and test it beforehand to make sure my instructions are still 100% correct. However, to the best of my memory, this should work without any problems.

If this works for you and you want to try other emulators on the Dreamcast, just visit dcemulation.com.

2 Comments:

  • I've found that Alcohol 120% works better than Nero when burning roms... I think it even handles nero images

    By Blogger XS951, at 1:02 p.m.  

  • I was able to make a NES disc but have been unable to find reliable sources to burn a genesis and/or a SNES one. Have any ideas?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home